February 12, 2014
In honor of the “month of love” we decided a great way to celebrate would be to each share our favorite date nights with you readers. This week, Cheryl will be sharing her favorite date night ideas. Don’t forget, Valentine’s Day is Friday!
Although I consider myself a hopeless romantic, I’ve never really been that into Valentine’s Day. Don’t get me wrong, I like flowers, fancy dinners and chocolate just as much as the next girl, but I like them every day of the year, not just on February 14. That being said, I can always appreciate a good old-fashioned date and Valentine’s Day is the perfect excuse. This year, I suggest going a bit beyond the typical fancy dinner standard and trying something new that you and your date will never forget.
Since I represent the San Francisco contingent of our team, I thought I’d offer some fun date ideas that are unique to my favorite city by the Bay.
1. Row Boats in the City – Looking for some classic romance? Then head to Golden Gate Park where you can rent row boats to float around Stowe Lake. Long considered to be one of the most romantic date ideas in the city, this little trip around the lake is sure to set the right mood, especially with a picnic basket filled with delicious food and wine!
2. Adventure on High – San Francisco has helicopter tours! Soaring above the famous hills and distinctive landmarks like Alcatraz and the Golden Gate Bridge, you’ll see the striking cityscape from a whole new, and unforgettable, angle.
3. Love on Main Street – For a more vintage-themed evening, the Disney Museum is hosting a turn-of-the-century after-hours party. Think old-time music, Prohibition-style cocktailes and a moonlit picnic on the porch.
4. Food from the Heart – Calling all foodies! Take a stroll through the Ferry Building and sample the merchant’s delicious bites and sips. Taste your way through the wines and seasonal hors d’oeuvres with candlelight, live music and tango dancing.
5. Pillow Fight! – Feeling a little feisty? Your inner kid does not want to miss San Francisco’s annual Valentine’s Day Pillow Fight. Grab your old synthetic pillows (feather are super messy) and head to Justin Herman Plaza. (This idea is not just for couples, it would be great for a double date or just a group of friends!)
6. Breakfast date – Three words: Free Valentine’s Waffles! Head to the Financial District for some freshly baked, Belgian-style street waffles from b.street waffles. Including local chocolate and raspberry jam – that’s the sweetest way to start your Valentine’s Day, even without a date. Get there early so they don’t run out! All the details are on their Facebook page.
So, what are my plans for Valentine’s Day? Unfortunately my weekend plans with family do not involve my hubby (who is starting a tour with his band this week). Instead, we’ll celebrate on our own in a couple weeks when we head down to the San Jose Tech Museum for the Science of Star Wars exhibit. Because nothing says romance like storm troopers and Wookies! Happy Valentine’s Day everyone!